With the spring season upon us, kids (and parents) are ready to spend more time outside. Playing at playgrounds give kids the opportunity to build strength, coordination and confidence. To keep kids safe on the playground, keep these tips in mind:
- Choose a playground that has safety-tested mats or materials such as rubber, sand or wood chips.
- Make sure the equipment in the playground is properly maintained. Exposed bolts or broken and rusted equipment are hazardous.
- Keep an eye on your kids as they play. Balance their need to be independent by guiding them towards play equipment appropriate for their age and skill level. If they want to try a new piece of equipment, teach them the proper way to use it and stay within arm’s reach to support them.
- Sneakers are the most appropriate footwear. Kids should avoid playing on equipment in flip flops or bare feet.
- Remove loose accessories like necklaces, jackets with drawstrings, and bike helmets to prevent them from being caught in the equipment.
- Metal and rubber can become very hot in the sun. Test out slides or swings before your child plays on them to prevent burns.
Keeping these safety tips in mind will ensure your kids can enjoy the playground all season long. For more kid-related health information, visit kids.mountnittany.org.
Back to News
View All News