Pennsylvania offers a wealth of hiking trails for its residents, and summer is great time to get outside and go exploring as a family. To plan a safe hiking experience, keep the following tips in mind.
- Plan ahead by checking maps and weather forecasts and researching trails. Pick an easier trail that isn’t too strenuous if you’re just starting to hike.
- Never hike alone and always tell someone where you plan to hike and when you’ll be back.
- Bring snacks and extra liquids. Never drink from a stream without filtering the water first.
- Stay together and keep children within sight at all times. Have a plan for what to do if you or your children get separated.
- Pack a first aid kit and know how to use it.
- Dress appropriately for your outing. Dressing in layers makes it easy to remove and add clothing as the temperature changes. Foot gear is also important – adequate hiking shoes will protect feet from getting wet or injured on rocky terrain.
- Protect you and your kids by applying (and reapplying) sunscreen and tick repellant.
- Bring a charged cell phone so you can use it in the event of an emergency.
For more kids’ health-related information, visit kids.mountnittany.org.
Back to News
View All News